Wednesday, June 29, 2016

About Me (or Why should I be your Coach?)

I started working at a fairly young age, at 17 I joined the Army.  This bold move was prompted by the desire to get away from my smother and also to get the GI Bill for college, which was going away with the end of the Vietnam Era.  Emotionally I wasn't ready for college yet, I needed to grow up a little bit.

The best laid plans have a way of being re-routed by life.  While in the Army I met my husband, got married, got pregnant and got out of the Army.  And soon after Lindy was born, I started college at the University of Colorado.  4 years later I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Political Science, a commission as a 2LT in the Army and a three year active duty commitment.

After three years at Ft. Carson, Co, I embarked on a career in government.  I worked for 13 years for the City of Los Angeles mostly with the Bureau of Engineering and as a Vet I was eligible for a buy back of 5 years of active military service toward my city retirement.  (If you haven't picked up on a theme here, the opportunist in me is always looking for an opportunity to benefit me).  That gave me 18 years vested toward a lifetime retirement paycheck starting at age 55.

I maintained a parallel career in the Army Reserve.  After going in and out of the Reserves I finally buckled down and completed 20 "good years" for another retirement.  Retiring from the Reserves however cost me my civilian job as it was tied to my military service.  I was fine with that though, I was ready for a break and to spend time with my husband and visit our grand kids.

And that brings me to now.  Let me step back for a moment, I got my Masters degree in Psychology in 1993 while working for the City.  When we moved to Texas I took some counseling courses with the plan of becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor, but I didn't complete the program.  So without a license I was kind of stuck, I couldn't be called a Counselor or Therapist.  Then I read about Coaching - Life Coaching in particular, and a light bulb went off.  I didn't need a license to Coach, and I could help people.  I switched focus to Career Coaching because I know something about it and quite frankly Life Coaching is difficult to market.

I have a passion for working with people especially older displaced workers who have found themselves forced into buyouts and early retirement but want to keep working.  Also people who have had extended periods of unemployment and have sort of given up on finding a job.  My goal now is to help people focus on what will give them worth.  Perhaps there is something you've always wanted to do but didn't think you could or perhaps you are a budding entrepreneur.  I want to help you find that calling and seize the moment.

Allow me to be your coach and together we will unlock your potential.


Patricia Dietz

No comments:

Post a Comment